Top 5 Best Tire Chains Reviews in 2019
Well, winter is just around the corner so it might be the time to get some footwear for your car. In other words, your car might need snow chains. Snow chains or tire chains are must-haves in many places, especially in steep mountainous areas.
But finding the right tire chains for your car can be a confusing task, due to different shapes, patterns, and sizes of these winter essentials. In this article, we bring you the best tire chains, so that you can drive safely and confidently, enjoying snowy days to the fullest.
What are tire chains?
Tire chains (also known as snow chains) are devices that are installed to the tires of vehicles in order to ensure maximum traction and balance. As the name itself suggests, snow chains are used when driving through ice and snow. This means that driving on a road that is not icy or snowy can be dangerous, so avoid that.
Tire chains are sold in pairs and can be put on the drive wheels or on the rear-wheel drives. This will depend on the type of vehicle you have – a front-wheel-drive or rear-wheel drive vehicle. When you buy tire chains, you’ll also get the instructions so you will know on which tires to put them. You can refer to our article for best car tires ?
But, the best idea is to put snow chains on all four tires. That way, traction will be at the maximum level, giving you more safety and balance.
What to keep in mind
– What you must bear in mind when it comes to snow chains is the law. Meaning, some states don’t allow the usage of snow chains, while others require of drivers to have them. So, we suggest you check the regulations before buying snow chains.
– Another thing is that you can’t just buy any kind of snow chains. They have to be suitable for your vehicle.
– The next thing is that you shouldn’t wait winter in order to see how these devices are installed. The last thing you need in cold, and snowy weather is you not knowing how to install tire chains. Try to install them at home, to get the hang of it. Also, you’ll have to learn how to tighten them, so your home is the best place for that. Thanks to this step, you’ll be ready to put snow chains when the situation calls for that.
– When snow chains are installed on your vehicle, you must drive carefully and accelerate slowly, keeping the speed at 30 mph. Also, you mustn’t spin the tires.
Top 5 Best tire chains
Here are the best tire chains on the market right now, so let’s take a look at what they offer.
Made from tougher components, these snow chains are great for SUVs and small trucks, providing better traction and durability (compared to standard tire chains).
What’s more, these Tire chains for SUV compatible with AWD, anti-lock brakes, traction control and other electronically monitored control systems, and meet S.A.E. Class S clearance requirements.
On top of all, the tire chains come with a built-in tire chain tensioner, so you won’t have to stop and retighten them on the road.
- Fit great
- Come with a tensioner
- Sturdy and well built
What makes this model stand out is the quick installation, due to a split outside cable that comes with fastening positions. Add to that a low potential for damaging the vehicle and you can see why this model is one of the bests.
With a diagonal cross member pattern, tire chains ensure outstanding traction, stopping, starting and cornering, while also giving durability.
- Quick and simple installation
- A low potential for damaging the vehicle
- Diagonal cross member pattern
- Outstanding traction, starting, stopping, and cornering
Why are TerraGrips so different than standard steel tire chains? Well, simply because they aren’t made of steel. Instead, they have strong rubber belts that ensure a perfect grip, and improved traction in snow, mud, gravel, and similar kinds of surfaces.
Still, there are plated steel parts; hence you won’t have to worry about rust. This certainly contributes to the durability of the snow chains. So, if you’re looking for tire chains for a riding mower or a tractor, this is the way to go.
- Rubber slats ensures exceptional grip and protection
- Outstanding durability due to plated steel parts and rubber
- Improved traction in snow, mud, gravel, etc.
- Not so easy to install
Most snow chains are a pain to put on, but that’s definitely not the case with these ones. In fact, it takes about five minutes to install these tire chains.
What we love about this model is that’s a good choice for almost any type of light truck, due to great compatibility with electronically monitored control systems, great traction, and a built-in rubber tensioner.
In addition to that, this model meets S.A.E. Class “S” clearance requirements.
- Breeze to install
- Meet S.A.E. Class “S” clearance requirements
- Great traction
- Ideal for light trucks, and SUVs
- If you use them daily, they will quickly wear out
Here we have snow chains for a light truck that will provide the best possible traction to your vehicle.
The package contains cam and non-cam chains, heavy duty regular, and cold temperature operation chains, so you can choose those that your vehicle needs the most.
With the cam tool and the manual, you won’t have any troubles with the installation.
- Easy to install
- Package includes different chains
- Chains come in a flimsy case
Snow chains can be your best shot if you live in a snowy area, so finding the good ones for your vehicle is crucial.
Hopefully, our list would help you with that. Once you find the right pair of chains for your vehicle, make sure to follow our tips for a safe drive, because it all starts with safety.